India: Wrongly declared package emits fumes during loading onto passenger plane

Jan. 26] One of 98 wrongly declared packages containing hydrogen peroxide emitted fumes while it was loaded into a passenger plane at Kochi, India.

A Qatar Airways Airbus A321 passenger plane was being prepared for a regular scheduled flight QR267 from Cochin Airport (COK/VOCC), India to Doha Airport (DOH/OTBD), Qatar. There were 156 passengers and nine crew members on board.

The Indian Sify news reported that a consignment of 98 boxes was loaded on the plane. After one of the boxes fell down emitting strong acidic fumes, the entire consignment was off-loaded from the aircraft once the security personnel were alerted. A loading staff member was reportedly given medical aid after he suffocated from inhaling the smoke.

Airport officials said a case has been filed against the Thrissur-based Infra Scientific Agency and the IATA-registered agent through whom the consignment was being sent. The packages had been labeled “not dangerous” medical equipment. Though in fact they contained hydrochloric acid, declared globally as ‘dangerous goods’.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: